Saturday, March 12, 2011

Why An Agent?

In this time of tremendous changes in the publishing industry, many people might wonder, "Do I really need an agent?"

My answer is, "Yes." Just like I would never dream of buying or selling a house without a real estate agent, I would never dream of selling a manuscript without a literary agent. There are so many aspects in the world of publishing that are complete mysteries to me. Agents know and understand contract law. They are familiar with publishing houses and with the editors at those houses, allowing them to submit directly to the right person at the right publisher. Any book can generate offers in other fields: foreign sales, ebook editions, audiobook editions, and occasionally, movie rights. Negotiations. Complications. Disagreements. Difficulties. My head starts to spin when I think of all the things that could go wrong. My solution for dealing with them: Magic Fairy Dust.

But with the world shortage of Magic Fairy Dust, I am left to more mundane solutions, and the solution I like best is having an agent. A good agent is a guide through the mean, labyrinthine backstreets of the publishing world. His or her job is to make my job easier. And if you're really lucky, your agent can also be your friend.  


Here's a video in which Lucienne Diver from the Knight Agency explains what literary agents do and how to find a good, reputable agent. She covers most of the issues I had thought of, then adds a few that had escaped me.

And so, the Great Agent Search continues. More about the progress on that front next week. Until then, keep reading! And keep writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment