Monday, January 3, 2011

Drabbles

One of the most challenging--and fun--exercises is to write a drabble. "What the heck is a drabble?" you might ask. A very good question. It's a short story. A very, very short story. Only 100 words long, excluding the title, a drabble really makes the writer stretch his creative muscles in searching for just the right words to tell a story without excess verbiage. Here's one of mine.



Funny

“Mommy?”

I opened one eye, finding the clock. 2:46.

“What’s the matter, sweetie?” I asked my four-year old without stirring. Lately, she has been having nightmares; nocturnal visits have become regular occurrences.

“I feel funny.”

Sighing, I sat on the edge of the bed. “Come to Mommy.”

My hand touched Amy’s forehead. A shiver traveled through me; I realized that she really did “feel funny.” The reptilian creature who had once been my daughter bared its razor teeth, tearing my flesh.  

Now I understand—

I turn to my sleeping husband; I can almost taste the blood.

“Honey…? I feel funny.”

*****

And that's how it's done. Go on! I know you want to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment