Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hello!

Welcome to my blog. Pull up a chair and sit a spell. Make yourself comfortable.

Um...I didn't mean that comfortable. This is a public forum, after all.

So here I am, all alone in my home office. This is where the magic happens. This is where I wrote my book. And after I wrote it, this is where I rewrote it. Then I showed it to a few people--my writing group, a couple of friends, my sister. Then I rewrote it again. Rereads. And then, one more rewrite. For over three years, I've worked on it, worked to perfect it. And while I know it's not perfect-- because no book has ever been perfect--I know it's the best I can make it at this point in my writing career.

The easy work is done. Now it's time to convince someone in the publishing industry that people might want to read my book.

And I'm starting this blog because one of the things that professional writers do. I'm practicing for the day when I become a professional writer. Also, I kind of like to hear myself talk, so a blog is a natural progression for me.

As I started typing this message on my electronic notepad, I wasn't quite sure what to say. I'm still not sure I've said the right things. But in a moment, when I press the post button, the contents of this blog will be out there for the world to see. For better or worse, my words will be floating through cyberspace. Flying through the atmosphere at more than a billion miles per hour. Of course, I might be a little off in my figures. Sciency stuff was never my strong suit.

The point is this: millions of people will be able to read my thoughts and examine my ideas and say to themselves, "Ah. I never saw it that way. This changes everything! It's morning in America! Myrtle, let's sell the house and the dogs, 'cause we finally found our purpose!" Or they might think, "What a load of crap!"

But isn't that what writing's all about? The writer's job is to put himself out there. To take a chance. To open a vein and bleed. To stand naked before the world.

Don't worry. I'm not going to do that last thing. I was raised Lutheran. We don't even get naked in the shower.

Here's the thing: yesterday, I jumped off the cliff. I sent off my query letter. If all goes well, I should have an agent before too long. If things don't go my way, there's another cliff right around the corner. And I'm not afraid to fling myself off that one, either.

And that's what it's been like so far, as I try to break into the profession. Wanna tag along? Let's see where this little adventure takes us. You and me. Jumping off cliffs, like Butch and Sundance.

2 comments:

  1. You said everything very well, and I even chuckled a few times. Great first post. The ice is broken, and now you can throw caution to the wind. I admire your persistence and talent for concise humor and wit. :) Remember it takes time for a blog to become established, and try not to become discouraged. I'm sure you know that, but it is sometimes encouraging to hear it from someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your sweet comments, Jeremy! And thanks for following my blog. I feel like I'm not talking to myself any more!

    ReplyDelete